unable to install/uninstall software

harlow 16:41 25 Apr 2009

Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium.
I am unable to install some software downloads because when the installation starts I get the message "Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete and then try installing this software again".

This problem started when I was having problems with my HP Scanjet 5500C. I tried to uninstall the scanner and then re-install it but then got the above message. I visited the HP problem page and tried their repair which maybe did more harm than good.
I have tried System Restore, Windows uninstall and other methods with no success.

Can anyone tell me where to find the program that has been trying to install for the last two weeks.

Forum Editor 17:31 25 Apr 2009

opening the Windows temp folder and deleting everything that you find.

If that doesn't work, do this:-

1. Start the computer in safe mode.

2.Log on to the computer as administrator.

3. Click Start, click Run, type: cmd.exe and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, type: msiexec /unregister , and then press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to close the command prompt.

7. Remove the software you were trying to uninstall, using the add/remove programs facility in Control panel.

mfletch 18:07 25 Apr 2009

Go to "Start" -> "Run" , type "services.msc" and press on "Enter" button

Double-click on the service named "Windows Installer

And stop its service

Then download Windows clean-up utility and use it to remove HP Scanjet 5500C

click here

Once you have installed the clean-up it can be found in all programs,

harlow 19:01 25 Apr 2009

Thanks for your suggestions.
mfletch. stopped Windows Installer but unable to download Windows clean up due to "error 1500. Other installation in progress" etc.

Editor. I am the only user, bert. I do not have "Run" on my start menu however when I called up the Command Prompt and got C:\Users\bert_ I typed in msiexec/unregister I got the reply that msiexec is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

woodchip 19:14 25 Apr 2009

For Program Install try copy the program from disc to Desktop. You can create nam a folder to put it in then restart and tap F5 for Safe Mode as its starting. after you get into safe mode, look in the Program you put on the Destop for Setup File and double click it to start the install

woodchip 19:16 25 Apr 2009

if its a Download just do the above then double click the download

mfletch 19:21 25 Apr 2009

Also try and run a fresh windows installer dont save it just run it from the net

click here

harlow 19:59 25 Apr 2009

Thanks for your time.
Some programs will install, I have just downloaded and installed CCcleaner (No help).
i tunes would download but not install and when I tried to run Windows clean up from the net I got Error 1500.
I am not sure that the scanner is to blame but can't check because I can't uninstall it with any program.

a member 21:30 25 Apr 2009

the FE. is right .to get the run command , left click an empty area of the bar at the bottom of your screen and click on properties.
then select start menu tab and click on customize .
scroll down about half way you will see the run command box ,tic it , and then OK at the bottom that window will close and click APPLY on the remaining window .
now when you click on the start button you will see the run command option .
follow the FE options to the letter exactly as written and it should do the trick.

lotvic 22:28 25 Apr 2009

I think you missed the space out.
msiexecSPACE/unregister
msiexecSPACE/regserver

4. At the command prompt, type: msiexec /unregister , and then press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

harlow 23:22 25 Apr 2009

thanks everyone but no joy. Will start fresh in the a.m.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?