Unable to install WXP on new laptop

realist 15:00 19 Jun 2010

I have just taken delivery of a brand new Novatech notebook (without an O/S) intending to install a licensed copy of XP Home, for which drivers are supplied. However, XP setup halts at “Starting Windows” with the following stop screen being displayed:

“A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controller. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK / F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

****** STOP : 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)”

Any ideas what I should I do next, send it back?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 19 Jun 2010

I have experienced this problem mostly when there is a SATA HDD involved and a RAID controller.

To rectify this problem, you have to get into BIOS, find the SATA Menu and change in to Legacy mode (or ATA mode).

OR just disable AHCI. (in AHCI menu)

realist 15:23 19 Jun 2010

Grateful thanks.

BIOS "advanced chipset control" is showing:

SATA Mode Selection: AHCI

Legacy usb support: enabled

So is it simply a matter of "changing the value" at "AHCI"? If so how do I do that?

realist 15:34 19 Jun 2010

There seems to be an option to select IDE instead of ACHI, is that what I need to do?

realist 15:35 19 Jun 2010

correction: AHCI

gengiscant 15:35 19 Jun 2010

yes, that should work.

realist 15:54 19 Jun 2010

Fantastic stuff!

Windows now installing and loads of hassle avoided.

Thanks Fruitbat and gengiscant.

About time I could figure these things out for myself, meantime I'll be back here looking for more help later no doubt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017