UNABLE TO INSTALL 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE ON WIN 7 PC

rotormota 18:32 06 Jan 2012

Hi,

Currently I am unable to install any software on my HP Pavilion Win 7 DT PC. The machine is only a few months old & I have installed software since buying it without problems but I don't know exactly when this issue began.

Installation is not possible from CD/DVD, external hard drives, USB sticks or as tried today, from downloads.

Windows explorer sees the software program & all the files required for installation either on a disc, drive etc.. Autorun does not work at all despite the necessary boxes being checked in Control Panel so a manual click on the appropriate autorun or setup.exe files to begin the install process is the only option. Thereafter the green installation progress bar will display extremely slow movement & then freeze at some point or there will be no activity at all. In both cases usually a Task Manager/end process is needed to clear any remaining installation windows.

The PC is totally up to date with Service Packs. I understand the problem may be the Windows Installer (or not). Can anyone help?

Many thanks. J

rawprawn 19:47 06 Jan 2012

Can you use System Restore to a position before the bad installations?

rawprawn 19:48 06 Jan 2012

PS. Do it from Safe Mode if this is an option for you.

iscanut 19:51 06 Jan 2012
  rawprawn 19:56 06 Jan 2012

rotomota Please excuse me, I misread your post. For some reason I thought you had said "Uninstall" My apologies.

Terry Brown 20:11 06 Jan 2012

I still use XP (more reliable), however I suggest 3 possibilities

1-- Is the Hard drive nearly full or badly fragmented 2--Are you in Administrator mode. 3-- You have an install 'stuck' in the system which is causing the problem by not allowing other downloads to run.

I do not know enough about window 7 to offer solutions, over to other readers

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?