unable to do system restore

krsna 10:47 21 Jun 2006

I have an HP media centre xp pc and I was trying to speed up the pc boot up but somehow I have made it worse and generally slowed down the pc. So I tried to do a system restore to get back to normal but although the pc goes through the motions of a system restore at the end after a reststart it says it was unable to complete a system restore and no changes to the pc have been made. I have tried seval different restore points all doing the same. Any suggestions please.

menorcarob2 10:56 21 Jun 2006

what did you do to try and speed it up

rawprawn 11:12 21 Jun 2006

click here
If you have no luck Repair windows

krsna 11:34 21 Jun 2006

First I unticked 3 unnecessary programs in start up using msconfig. After doing this on start up before the windows xp page I get a black screen page for about 3 secs saying “choose which operating system do you want to use” there is a choice of either xp or system recovery, but before I can do anything the Welcome page comes on. Is there a way I can get rid of this new extra page?

Second I would like to do the window repair that rawprawn suggests, but I have a restoration/recovery disk which contains XP, can I use that to repair xp leaving all applications intact? Also the HP pc does a partion on the hard drive and has a d drive which contains the recovery software can that be used?

krsna 12:46 21 Jun 2006

rawprawn: can i use a recovery disk to repair windows using the link that you gave , without lossing other programs on the pc.

menorcarob2 12:56 21 Jun 2006

if the problem was caused by unticking things go back and retick them

menorcarob2 12:57 21 Jun 2006

sorry use normal startup in msconfig

krsna 13:01 21 Jun 2006

I have tried that menorcarob2 but it made no difference.

rawprawn 13:32 21 Jun 2006

You should be able to use your recovery disc, print out the instructions before you start

rawprawn 13:34 21 Jun 2006

Before you try repair, go to Start/Run type sfc /scannow (watch the space between sfc ans/) when it asks for your disc put your recovrery disc in the drive and click Ok. Just worth trying!

krsna 12:17 23 Jun 2006

rawprawn; I tried sfc /scannow and it wanted me to insert cd2 of xp, I tried my recovery disk and it said wrong cd. i managed to get an xp pro disc and put that in, but still wrong cd message comes up.

I then tried to do a recovery with my recovery disk but at one stage it says that the repair process will not delete data but will lose other applications. Is there a way to repair xp without affecting any data & other already installed programs ( using recovery disk?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone