Unable to delete file with Download Trojan Virus

Lemur 21:23 24 Sep 2003

I have XP and Norton Anti Virus.

I have been made aware of the presence of a Download Trojan Virus in one my files as follows:
"The compressed file 242656.exe within C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files\Content.IE5\ODY7GK2Z\Browser_Plugin[1].cab".
As it seems to be a Temporary Internet File, I tried Disc Cleanup, but to no avail.
Then I followed the Norton Anti Virus instructions following another scan, but that ended with the message "Your computer is still infected with viruses".
Finally I tried the following procedure suggested by NAV: 1) Disable System Restore. 2) Update the virus definitions (already up-to-date). 3) Restart the computer in safe mode. 4) Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Download Trojan. Result:"Your computer is still infected with viruses".
The only support that Norton offer is a paid telephone service for viruses!!
What next please?

VoG II 21:30 24 Sep 2003

Try this:

Exit Internet Explorer, Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete files, tick Delete all offline content and click OK.

You coulf=d also tyr this in Safe Mode.

If not try CleanUp! click here

Lemur 22:24 24 Sep 2003

Thank you VoG. I have been working on this problem on and off all day, and in just seven minutes you came up with the solution. Your first suggestion worked a treat.

Most grateful.

VoG II 22:38 24 Sep 2003

If somebody could teach me to type I'm sure I could do better!

Glad it worked, Lemur.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone