Unable to defrag, back up or chkdsk for C drive!!

JazzC 19:00 18 Apr 2010

I have a Dell Studio laptop which is not even a year old (so still under warranty) and I cannot defrag, chkdsk or back my c drive,
i seem to have an os problem but can't find out what the problem is.
Originally I thought it was a problem with my external seagate 1tb drive but I checked it and it seems fine, can anyone help please

mooly 19:19 18 Apr 2010

Take it it's Vista.
Have these commands worked OK before ?
Any other problems... everything else OK.
Does the defragmenter not open at all ?

What security are you using... just out of interest...

JazzC 19:33 18 Apr 2010

I am on Windows 7, its been working a treat. I didnt notice a prob until I tried to back up to my external Seagate 1TB extension drive.
I have avg anti virus, zone alarm, spyware blaster and malware bytes as well as adaware, I update them all regularly so not sure whats happening.
Actually using the internet is fine, disk drive for cd's is fine.
All these commands worked ok before.
The defrag screen opens but only gives me the option to defrag the E (cd drive) and the D drive which is the external hard drive, it doesnt give me the option to defrag the c drive

mooly 07:17 19 Apr 2010

Dunno is the honest answer.

I asked about the security because I had really strange issue with Vista and FSecure a few months back... no defragmenter, the interface wouldn't open. It was all proved to be FS problems... however.

Have you tried running sfc /scannow
Run as a command line prompt, this checks all protected OS system files. Bit of a long shot.

Have you tried system restore ?

I became wary of 3rd party apps etc and just use MSE and Windows own tools now. I had to do a clean install to fix mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache