Unable to connect wireless due to network key

hefs 08:31 20 Apr 2007

Hi, I am a real beginner with pc's. WE have been having problems with our wireless router (Belkin G)with intermittently disconnecting and having to repair the connection etc. This time when going through the diagnostics it is saying that the 'Wireless Network Key does not match the key settings on the wireless router. I am assuming that this is a simple step, just not too sure how to go about it, so if someone could inform me I would appreciate it. As I said I am a real beginner !!!

ArrGee 11:44 20 Apr 2007

If you have an ethernet cable, connect the router to a pc/laptop using that, then go into the settings of the router and reset the WEP key.

By using an ethernet cable, you should not be asked for a key. (At least that is the case with both of my wireless BT routers).

You should be able to access the router settings using an http:// address such as 192.168.1.1 (check your router documentation for the correct URL).

hefs 15:07 20 Apr 2007

Sorry I forgot to add that we have a laptop downstairs which we connect to via the ethernet cable without any problem, but it's the pc upstairs that we are having the problem with as we do not have a connection point in that room hence the wireless router. It shows that the connection is there but there seems to be a problem with linking the network key settings so is not picking it up. Do I still need to follow the steps that you've told me or would I need to go down another route?

Thanks for your help

ArrGee 15:31 20 Apr 2007

Use the same steps. Log on to the router from the wired ethernet laptop and change the WEP settings from there.

Firstly, turn off WEP, see if the PC connects wirelessly, then from the laptop, enable the WEP and make sure you put a key in there. Then try and connect again from the PC and put in your WEP password.

geordiewal 15:43 20 Apr 2007

I have just had a problem setting up a wireless connection, using a netgear usb adaptor and bt voyager 2110. I could see the router but was unable to access the internet or the config page of the router. The problem was that the wep wireless key code on the router was in ASKII and the netgear wasn't converting it. So I used this link click here
to convert the code from ASCII to hex, then entered it into the netgear wep setup and bingo.
Hope this helps.

skidzy 16:58 20 Apr 2007

If you are having trouble accessing the routers configuration page,try windows own setup.

Goto Control panel on the laptop and select Wireless network setup wizard and add the pc to the network,follow the prompts.
You will need a flash/pen drive or a memory card and reader as this will need inserting in all pc/laptops and back to the host computer.

This is the easiest method and will carry all settings across to any computer wishing to be on the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone