Unable to connect laptops to Wireless network

buttonmoon 16:28 19 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have a Windows XP desktop and 2 laptops (xp) been having problems connecting the 2 laptops to my wireless network, they were connected but all of a sudden I get the message "limited or no connectivity" - the desktop that the wireless is connected through works fine and I am able to surf using that. Both laptops are wifi enabled and the network does appear in the "available list" but I am not able to connect to my own network.

I have never had this problem before and it only started last night. The wireless router is a belkin high speed mode wireless G router.

I have checked the Belkin router home page and neither of the laptops is appearing in the DHCP Client List - whereas they were before. I have tried to add my laptop's MAC address manually into the allowed computers list and that doesn't seems to have helped either.

Can someone help? - sorry about the mish mash of info I am new to this and therefore don't quite know what info maybe required.

All hints and tips gratefully appreciated.

thanks.

sunny staines 16:44 19 Nov 2007

have you tried to right click the wireless icon in the task bar then select "repair" to see if that helps. also the wifi slider on the laptop case is in the on position.

buttonmoon 16:48 19 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have tried to the "repair " option - it looks as if it will connect and then doesnt and the message "unable to renew IP address" comes up and then network disappears completely from the "available networks" page - if I refresh it comes up again but after spending ages trying to "aquire network address" message it goes back to showing a "limited or no connectivity" message

sunny staines 16:52 19 Nov 2007

i have had my fair share of laptop problems and as a last resort deleted the connection and set it up again from scratch which seemed to work.
also try with firewall turned off.

buttonmoon 16:57 19 Nov 2007

I have turned the firewall off on both laptops - didn't want to resore the wireless to factory settings as it took me a while to set it up in the first place (with a lot of much needed help from here)

But I will give it a go..

itisi 16:37 21 Nov 2007

Hello I also run a Belkin wireless router which has given me some headaches.I found that if any
changes are made to it's settings it is necessary
to unplug it from the mains power for just a few seconds & then plug it back in again.Also on occasions I had to press the reset button at the rear,but if you do this be sure to only give it a quick stab,if you press the button in for too long you will set the router back to its shipping state & will have to input all you settings again.
It is necessary to hard wire it to your main computer to do this with your ethernet cable.You do not need it connected to your phone line to carry out this operation but if it is thats ok.
Any alterations made to the security settings must
be made whilst hard wired. Good Luck.

itisi 16:41 21 Nov 2007

Hello I also run a Belkin wireless router which has given me some headaches.I found that if any
changes are made to it's settings it is necessary
to unplug it from the mains power for just a few seconds & then plug it back in again.Also on occasions I had to press the reset button at the rear,but if you do this be sure to only give it a quick stab,if you press the button in for too long you will set the router back to its shipping state & will have to input all you settings again.
It is necessary to hard wire it to your main computer to do this with your ethernet cable.You do not need it connected to your phone line to carry out this operation but if it is thats ok.
Any alterations made to the security settings must
be made whilst hard wired. Then unplug & reset again. Good Luck.

buttonmoon 20:42 21 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have now managed to get my own laptop working, not quite sure what I did (if it was a result of what I did anyway)- after trying for ages it just connected and started working again.

The second laptop is still not connecting, having the same problems of seeing the network in the "available networks" page and not being able to connect or if connected having limited or no signal.

Also unable to use my mobile on the wireless network to surf, whereas I was able to before.

I have deleted the existing network from the laptop's avaialbe networks and tried setting it up from scratch but to no avail.

kdt 21:20 21 Nov 2007

try kb914440 from microsoft if that is any help?

buttonmoon 23:37 21 Nov 2007

I will try it and let you know how I get on.

thanks

buttonmoon 14:53 22 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have sort of figured what I was doing wrong.

When the internet stopped working I enabled MAC filtering on the router home page and entered my own laptopss MAC address manually - not sure if this helped but it got my laptop connected again, cept the other laptop and other users couldn't connect - because I hadn't entered their MAC addresses. So, I just turned the feature off and now everyone is able to connect using the pre shared key.

Thank you all for you advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?