unable to connect to internet on laptop

david-395582 18:41 01 Jan 2006

i have a d-link dsl-g604t wireless adsl router
home pc and laptop both running windows xp.
my home pc connects to the internet no problem.
but the laptop can only accesss my home page on the web.
my home page is an ip address, dont know if that holds any significance. any other page justs gets connection timeout errors.
ive tried taking the firewall off the router, and also turning off windows firewall on both pc's.
but nothing seems to work
i'm just about ready to take a hammer to the laptop, so any help would be mucho appreciated

cheers po

LastChip 19:32 01 Jan 2006

On your laptop, in the browser address bar type the following:

That is PCA's address.

See if you get the page up and post back please.

david-395582 20:38 01 Jan 2006

thanks for your response

ok typed in the ip and message i get is: site maintenece .sorry for any inconvienince call back later.

LastChip 20:56 01 Jan 2006

OK. That could be one of a couple of reasons, but first, we need to establish if your laptop is connecting onto the network correctly.

Do you have a connection icon on the laptop saying it's connected properly?

If you open a command prompt and type;

ping 127.0.0.1

What response do you get?

Also, if you know the router address (maybe 192.168.1.1) and ping that, what response do you get to hat?

Taff™ 21:24 01 Jan 2006

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Connection Tab and make sure Never Dial A Connection is selected. Then press the LAN button further down and deselect all the options.

Now go to Network Connections from Control Panel. Right click your wireless connection (It should already say enabled) and select properties. On the General Tab scroll down to TCP/IP and select it then click the Properties button below. Make sure that both settings are set to "Obtain Automatically"

Close down IE and reboot the computer. Now try again and post back with a brief report on what you found along the way. I`ll dig up my brief guide for this router if this doesn`t work!

mgmcc 21:47 01 Jan 2006

<<< my home pc connects to the internet no problem.
but the laptop can only accesss my home page on the web.
my home page is an ip address, dont know if that holds any significance. any other page justs gets connection timeout errors >>>

That could indicate that the laptop isn't accessing the internet at all, and is loading your home page from cache, or there could be problem accessing a DNS Server, thus preventing the conversion of domain names into IP addresses.

Open a Command Prompt window, run IPCONFIG /ALL and see what the DNS Server address is. It would normally be your router's IP address.

Then run IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and follow that with IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

If that hasn't helped, you could go into the TCP/IP settings of the adapter you connect to the router with and enter fixed DNS Server addresses, using those of your ISP instead. You should be able to see the ISP's DNS addresses in your router's Setup pages as they will have been allocated to the router along with your WAN IP address.

Taff™ 22:49 01 Jan 2006

The routers address is 192.168.1.1 prefixed by http:// but typing just the numbers into IE should get you to the routers login page if you are connected to the router of course.

david-395582 10:06 02 Jan 2006

wow thaks for the great response.
i'm just running through the options above.
when ive finished i'll re-post and let you know the outcome

david-395582 10:35 02 Jan 2006

ok i ran through all of the above options and still at the same spot.
i can access my home page and browse the site no problem. its a forum so browsed for unread posts and they all showed up.
on the toolbar i have (G604T_ WIRLESS) connected, signal strengh excellent.
also on toolbar. cable and wireless, wireless lan card signal good... all on laptop btw.
by pinging router and 127.0.0.1 i get no response
@taff tried all settings in network connections etc, didnt need to change anything.
@mgmcc did all you mentioned and still no joy..... but

If that hasn't helped, you could go into the TCP/IP settings of the adapter you connect to the router with and enter fixed DNS Server addresses, using those of your ISP instead. You should be able to see the ISP's DNS addresses in your router's Setup pages as they will have been allocated to the router along with your WAN IP address.

now that got me thinking.. my isp is bulldog and when i first set up connection i used there dns addresses for my router. is this the problem?
i'm not sure how i would go about entering fixed dns server addresses. could you please put it in terms a 5 year old would understand,lol.

and taff yes mate 192.168.1.1 is the router address, i can get in and change all the settings, but nothing seems to work. but saying that i aint the sharpest.

cheers po

mgmcc 11:19 02 Jan 2006

<<< i'm not sure how i would go about entering fixed dns server addresses. could you please put it in terms a 5 year old would understand >>>

A 5 year old would probably know :-)

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the connection to the router (presumably a "Wireless Network Connection") and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

In the box that opens, click "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

Enter the appropriate DNS addresses which, from Bulldog's website are (quote):

---------------------------------------8-------------------------

DNS
Anyway for those who neeed to set the DNS server addresses, depending on the geographical area of UK where they are based, should use the following:

South:
Primary: 83.146.21.5
Alternate: 83.146.21.6

North:
Primary: 212.158.248.5
Alternate: 212.158.248.6

---------------------------------------8-------------------------

david-395582 11:33 02 Jan 2006

that did the trick!!!!
entered the dns servers on the laptop and all is well

thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?