Unable to connect to internet at home

Abbywdt 06:26 03 Sep 2008

Have a cable modem and am trying to make a connection to the internet at home with my notebook, does not connect. Take the same computer to my friends home and it connects to the internet. My friend brings his notebook computer to my home connects to the same cable modem I am trying to connect to and it works.

I never get an IP address at home. I run ipconfig and release and then renew and ipconfig times out.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 2200 running XP.

ambra4 12:03 03 Sep 2008

How are you trying to connect to the cable via an ethernet cable you need to set up the lan card

click here

Ashrich 01:51 07 Sep 2008

Which PC was the very first connected to the cable modem , yours or your friends ? This might sound like a daft question , but it is very relevant ...cable modems only allow one MAC address to access the internet , if your friends works and yours doesn't it is because the modem has " bound " itself to his MAC , simply remove the power supply to the modem for 10 to 15 minutes to allow it to " forget " which PC it allows , re-apply the power , let it settle until all the lights stop flickering and try connecting your PC again .

Ashley

Abbywdt 07:27 07 Sep 2008

Have tried just about everything, including the suggestions above. Just spent an hour on the phone with the cable company with no results. The cable company have suggested a modem swap which I will do. Will keep you posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie