Unable to connect to Internet

smudge6521 12:51 17 Nov 2008

I have recently installed Win XP Pro on a PC in my home connected a Wireless usb stick but cannot connect to the internet via internet explorer. I have checked all the obvious angles but am unable to find a solution. IE comes up with a message stating that it is unable to open search page, My wireless works fine on other PC.S in the house just this one. Has anybody got any ideas to help
tks in advance

xania 13:05 17 Nov 2008

Have you added the new wireless stick to those the network is authorised to see? Have you ensured that the password on the new key is set up correctly?

smudge6521 19:32 17 Nov 2008

Yep done all that and have ensured that passwords are correct. Tks

bazt 19:57 17 Nov 2008

silly question but have you looked in control pannel at Internet options to see what your default browser is.

Terminus90 20:33 17 Nov 2008

is your firewall letting internet explorer have access to the web?

smudge6521 21:58 17 Nov 2008

yep checked all these and as yet have no firewall or virus installed get this free from my ISP provider tks for help are there anymore suggestions.

smudge6521 22:14 17 Nov 2008

This information may help if someone has the same equipment. I am using a Belkin USB adaptor and have just checked it out and it shows my wireless network as strong but has a red line with yellow warning triangle inbetween the router and computer and the same from the computer to the internet. Am running the same USB on another computer with XP and have no problems. It currently has IE6 as it has not had chance to connect and update yet. Does anybody have anymore suggestions what I should do next

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone