unable to connect to internet

easyrider 08:00 13 Dec 2005

I`ve 3 desktops and three laptops all running XP and last night was unable to connect to the internet. The wireless side of the network appears to function ok. When I tried msn messenger and tried the repair function it came up with DNS and port problems anyone got any ideas?

mgmcc 08:31 13 Dec 2005

Presumably you are connecting via a router and, if multiple computers are unable to get online, this would suggest the problem is with the router. Routers usually have a button with which you can perform either a "soft" reset (reboots it) or a "hard" reset (restores out-of-the-box factory settings).

If you are able to get online with a single PC connected directly to an ADSL modem, this would support the conclusion that the router is the problem and a reset should restore its functionality.

easyrider 09:11 13 Dec 2005

Tried reset to factory default last night to no avail. I have been wondering if it could have anything to do with the micro filter.
As I have no internet connection at home I will only be able to access the internet at work so there maybe a delay to me acknowledging your responses.

easyrider 20:18 13 Dec 2005

Do not know what the problem was but when I got home from work everything was working as normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?