unable to connect to home wifi

immer 17:45 15 Nov 2013

I have a problem connecting an aquired old dell WXP laptop to my home wifi. It detects the network ok but when I try to type in the password/ ID it just makes a bong noise I refuses the type.(Yes I disabled the firewall.) I've connected other laptops with no problems but I think I must have forgotten what I did. Main PC on W7.

immer 22:11 15 Nov 2013

The problem seems to be in the old Dell laptop BIOS which contain an administrator long lost password locking out new connections. Does anyone know how to clear a motherboard admin password ?

rdave13 22:22 15 Nov 2013

It might be ingrained on a bios chip. Your best bet is to note the lappies specifications and product number etc. and join a Dell forum or contact Dell themselves. email support Dell, your problem is low priority I guess so give them an email, with as much facts about the lappy, as possible. Good luck.

rdave13 22:32 15 Nov 2013

Email support is here, a link within the link I gave but may be harder to find in the original link.

immer 15:13 17 Nov 2013

Thanks. Tried removing both the big & little round battery for five mins but no change, though I wonder if the hard drive might have reset it on startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?