unable to change windows xp password

richard 11:59 18 Sep 2003

I am having a problem with Task Scheduler - it doesn't work. When I try to add a task, it wants my password. The problem is that, as far as I know, I don't have a password to (presumably) log on to Windows.

Thinking this coould be the problem, I looked at the users - I am down as the administrator so I thought I would set a password - the problem now is that I am told I cannot change the password.

OK, I thought, go back a step - now I am told I can delete the password - apparently do so, but told I cannot change it! I am caught in a loop - is there a way out

thanks

AndySD 12:11 18 Sep 2003

XP pro or Home?

also is the account you are using the Administrator Account or is it your name with Admin Privalages?

richard 12:51 18 Sep 2003

XP home. I am down as the computer administrator and can: change, create and delete accounts; make system-wide changes; install programs and access all files

AndySD 14:26 18 Sep 2003

Try booting ito Safe Mode (F8 whilst booting) and set the password there.

richard 18:35 18 Sep 2003

I went into safe mode - password box empty - put in password - "Windows cannot accept password" - go back a step, asked if I want to remove password - seems to accept password I put in - tried again but the same thing happened.

I don't really want to mess with the passwords - the real problem is that the task scheduler doesn't work!

any other ideas?

AndySD 18:42 18 Sep 2003

Ok try creating a new user account in XP and give this account Admin rights and a password . Reboot and log into this account.

spikeychris 18:46 18 Sep 2003

click here However..

A scheduled task can be run without passwords:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 67)
click here

Courtesy of the man.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?