Unable change cursor

kerses 20:32 10 May 2009

Cursor gone white and almost invisible. Been to control panel but when I click Pointers it says a file is corrupt or missing. It is the latter as folder c:\windows\cursors" is empty.
What fan I do please? One eye already out of action with cataract and numb fingers for good measure!
Should have said Windows XP
kerses

MsTechie 20:39 10 May 2009

Try running system file checker, this programme will run a check to find out what system files and folders are missing from you OS.

Click on the 'start' then 'run' then type in 'cmd' without apostrophes, from here type sfc.exe, this will give you a choice of commands to use.

kerses 19:55 14 May 2009

Thanks Ms Technie for the suggestion. Have tried that but come up against a stone wall when it asks me to insert the original disc: I do but it still ends up saying it cant find a needed file. Any other ways around this one?
kerses

kerses 20:52 29 May 2009

Again thanks MsTechie for that response. Sorry about delay - lots of problems here not PC. Have to leave at that for now.
kerses

eric_bloodaxe 22:02 29 May 2009

Hi
It may be you will need to extract the i386 folder to your hard drive and copy the files from ther. This may get into the realms of Recovery console which is scary techie stuff also running from the command line. I can supply more help if you need it but have you ever made a backup of the whole drive? if so you can possibly recover a copy of the files from that by running the backup wizard in restore mode. Just be Bloody careful to only tick the box for the exact files you need or you could overwrite your entire OS and potentially cause havoc! trust me; bin there, done that...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?