unable to boot, unable to boot to safe mode

m800afc 04:06 03 Nov 2006

XP Pro (OEM: No Original Windows Disc), SP2

I turned off my pc and everything seemed to behave as expected. The following session it booted to the "Boot Options Page", the one with safe mode, safe mode with dos prompt, last known good config etc. No matter which selection I choose it loops back to this page. By using f8 I can get a dos prompt, and have tried:

DIR I get "An error occurred during directory enumeration"
CHKDSK I get (at 41% completed) "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"
CHKDSK C: /r I get (at 39% completed)...well it just stops doing anything. Judging by the HD led being off, there is no HD activity. I waited about 4 hours, so it had plenty of time.

When I use a Windows Setup Disc, I am told I have to reformat the drive as it is "not formatted or may be damaged". At this stage I do not want to reformat, I have too many files I need to recover.

I have tried the SP2 CD, and Setup Boot Diskettes, but none help. I have a blank, formatted external usb drive, but am unable to access it in DOS

I am not too confident about using DOS, but I will have to manage, if anyone can help I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Tony

terryf 04:58 03 Nov 2006

It sounds as if you need to put the disk as slave in another machine and try some recovery software. I accidentally started to format my D drive a while ago and a local company managed to recover my file (this was before I saw the light and keep data backed up on ext usb drives)It wasn't cheap but I wanted the data

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 03 Nov 2006

Testdisc click here
Drive Rescue click here

Try one of the above burn to floppy or CD to rescue your files to another drive then reformat or replace the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?