unable to boot, tried Acronis but still no.

bumpkin 17:04 30 Dec 2010

Hello everyone,
Tried to start a Sony Vaio desktop that I have been using daily for years but it would not boot, just a small flashing dot at the left hand top of the screen. I use Acronis True Image as back up but it said that the back up file on my C drive was corrupted. I have external back up on HDD via USB caddy but Acronis would not recognise this in the restore window.
In Acronis Clone the drive is seen, not that I want to clone it.
Tried other things but all I get now is the message "unable to load operating system"

Ray

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 30 Dec 2010

1. remove / refit hard drive retry to boot.

2.Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

bumpkin 17:49 30 Dec 2010

Thank you Fruitbat, I cant`t boot from the windows disk, tried this avenue. Hope I am wrong but starting to think power supply. Does anyone have any other suggestions please.

Ray

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 30 Dec 2010

Floppy drive?

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

bumpkin 18:22 30 Dec 2010

thanks fruitbat looks like what i need

Strawballs 19:18 30 Dec 2010

Could be a corupt boot sector on the hard drive try and see if sony do a hard drive diagnostic tool that you can download and boot from

bumpkin 19:26 30 Dec 2010

Hi again, created the floppy which got me further than before but now get this message "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware"
Any further ideas?
Thanks Ray

bumpkin 19:47 30 Dec 2010

Getting more confusing now,
If I start up using the floppy I get the message.
"please select the operating system to start"
Then this List of choices, none of which work.

First harddisk, first partition
first harddisk, second partition
first harddisk, third partition
first harddisk, fourth partition
Second harddisk, first partition
second harddisk, second partition
second harddisk, third partition
second harddisk, fourth partition
Previous Operating System on C:\

I only have one hard drive

bumpkin 21:53 30 Dec 2010

bump

woodchip 22:14 30 Dec 2010

You say it will not boot from the XP CD, Have you set the BIOS start to boot with CD as first boot device followed by Hard Drive. PS you need to save settings before you exit as if you do not, it will not change nothing in the BIOS

woodchip 22:16 30 Dec 2010

If it boots with the CD choose Setup, it will check the disc for a Operating System, it should find XP if it does click on what it finds then press R to Repair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?