UNABLE TO BOOT

asterias 14:15 28 Oct 2008

I have assembled the following PC - Coolermaster Elite 330 Tower + 460w PSU + 2 x 120mm case fans/Asus M3A-H/HDMI motherboard/2 x 2Gb DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz RAM/AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz CPU + heatsink & fan/160Gb Maxtor S-ATA 2 HDD/Samsung IDE DVD/CD reWriter and a Sony floppy disk drive.
All indicator lights,fans and power on and reset buttons function properly.The BIOS Set up programme is displayed at the DEL command and all the parameters are set to OEM default.Unfortunately I cannot get the PC to boot. I've tried an MS-DOS startup disc with no effect.The motherboard DVD does not autorun.
I'm hoping to install Windows XP Prof'.
Would be grateful for any suggestions please.

crosstrainer 14:31 28 Oct 2008

As long as your hard drive(s) are recognised by the BIOS, in order toinstall from DVD / CD you need to

1) Change the boot order in your BIOS screen to boot from DVD / CD first

2) Insert the CD / DVD into the optical drive

3) Re-boot

asterias 18:38 28 Oct 2008

Thk you crosstrainer but I altered the BIOS boot order to Floppy 1st then tried the MS-DOS startup floppy but no response,then I re-altered the boot order to CD 1st and tried the motherboard makers Cd and still no response.

crosstrainer 05:25 29 Oct 2008

The motherbiard makers vd is NOT the operating system. To install the OS you must insert a valid copy of XP / Vista in order to install.

asterias 09:04 29 Oct 2008

crosstrainer-thk you very much.I get the message at last.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017