Unable to activate XP

s99Raj 16:31 30 May 2007

After attempting to do a repair option on a laptop I am now faced with this message on startup :

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? (Yes/No)?

If I click "No", the laptop shuts down, and if I click "Yes" the laptop simply goes back to the Welcome screen and presents me with this question agan.

It WAS activated several months ago but now I get this message above. I don't want to format etc. because I need the data and programs etc. on the laptop as they are.

How can I get to activating ths XP again? Safe Mode is of no use to me by the way.

PSF 17:35 30 May 2007

Choose yes to activate, if you do not have an active internet connection you will be given a phone number to ring. It is a free phone number to Microsoft, the activation service is automated. There will be a number(about 50 digits i think) on your screen you will have to tap into your phone when prompted, you are then given another number to put into the pc. If accepted the pc will then reboot and be back to normal. If not you will need to speak to Microsoft

s99Raj 17:39 30 May 2007

That doesn't work - Internet connection or not, Windows just restarts and comes back to the same screen.

Microsoft are of no help - they just pass me on to the automated activation "woman".

PSF 17:50 30 May 2007

You said 'After attempting to do a repair option on a laptop' Did the repair fail? The repair installation might be corrupt, which means you will have to reformat the drive.

You could get an external caddy for the drive and transfer the information to another pc. Reinstall and then copy the info back after if needed click here

click here

s99Raj 17:53 30 May 2007

Yes, the repair did fail.

Is there no option but to reformat and reinstall Windows?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 30 May 2007

try the repair again.

s99Raj 18:09 30 May 2007

OK, thanks for the help. I've noticed (via Safe Mode) that all the System Resore points have been deleted.

Does this mean the registry has been corrupted?

PSF 18:26 30 May 2007

All the restore points are removed when you do a repair, if not you could restore back to a time when you had problems!!!!
Make sure the cd is clean and try the repair again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?