Unable to activate Windows XP Home OEM

RobCharles1981 23:24 01 Jun 2006

This version of this operating system was originaly supplied with my Evesham Computer but on my Computer now is Pro Edition Retail I had been using pro on another Computer I built so a few days ago I formated it and stuck XP Home Edition OEM that Evesham Supplied me with my origional Comp

Now I cant register it with the key I had with the CD, it comes up "Incorect Product Key or it was "mistyped" I double checked the key as I wrote it down on the back of the case of the cd,

Spoke with Microsoft and they say to contact the computer manufacturer in which I did:

Dear Mr Charles

Thank you for your e-mail of the 29th May 2006.

We regret that we would be unable to issue a new license number. Please could you confirm that you are using the license number on top of the tower? Please could you also confirm what this number is? Please could you also send us another e-mail message with more information. Let us know exactly what you do and where the process fails. Please include the exact wording of any error messages that you receive. The more details you include, the better our chances of solving your problem.

Yours sincerely

Sebastian Leaver ¦ Customer Support Advisor ¦ Evesham Technology
Tel: +44 (0)870 1609534 ¦ Fax: +44 (0)1386 769796 ¦ click here

So what do I do?

VoG II 23:28 01 Jun 2006

If I have read this correctly then you need to buy Windows XP. Your 'old' version was OEM and tied to your previous machine.

RobCharles1981 23:33 01 Jun 2006

Ive used XP Home OEM on my other machine in the past without no problems

VoG II 23:41 01 Jun 2006

Yes but you cannot then use an OEM version of Windows on another comp. Or are you saying that you have done this successfully in the oast?

RobCharles1981 23:44 01 Jun 2006

Ive done this Sucessfuly in the past

DieSse 00:02 02 Jun 2006

*Ive done this Sucessfuly in the past*

Even so it's against the terms of the licence. Since it's already been activated on one system, and you're trying to activate it on another, contrary to the licence - perhaps they are simply stopping that from happening now.

RobCharles1981 00:11 02 Jun 2006

Well this I will find out from Evesham when they reply back

The Ancient One 16:21 12 Aug 2006

All oem Operating Systems can be used on any computer. I was brought out mainly for use with Selfbuilt computers as the CD has the full range of drivers required to get your computer up and running.

You are required by law to give that OEM CD to whom you sell the computer to. If you want to use it on another computer, you must inform Microsoft of your intention to do so. As you are rquire you to deregister the operating system from the original computer and then to the new computer. This can only be done when Mirosoft issue new PD number and/or Product key. They send you these by emial with full instructions on how to do it correctly.

RobCharles1981 16:48 12 Aug 2006

Thank you so I would just ring microsoft via the activation process when I stayed on the line this guy made no sense what so ever I told him it was an oem XP Home Editon that I had with my orignal and that I wanted to register on another machine he then sayd "Change Product Key" and they wouldnt allot it strange!!

DieSse 17:00 12 Aug 2006

There is no way that anyone is going to just give you a second product key. You would then have two product keys and could install the software on two systems!

OEM software is linked to the system it is first installed on. It's sold at a discount to system builders for use on newly assembled or refurbished systems only. The product key is on a label that must be affixed to the case of the system

The version sold that you may freely transfer from system to system is the full retail version. This does not have a "sticker" - the licence code is printed on the documentation.

It is against the licence to transfer the OEM version to another system, or even to continue with it on the same system if you upgrade the motherboard.

If you've done it before, or even if you could get away with doing it now, you're breaking the terms of the licence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?