unable to access windows update page

De Nada 16:51 12 Jun 2006

not having much luck lately,i did an upgrade with my xppro cd,(genuine advantage disc)it said it came with sp2 included on the disc,i browsed the contents of the disc after realising there is no i386 folder in my windows folder,the folder is on the disc, so i copied it into windows,but it has made no difference,there is no entry in services for windows update,or microsoft update,when i click check for updates, the page cannot be accessed,it seems as if something is missing or corrupt on my system, but i havnt a clue as to what to do next,grateful for any assistance,

john-232317 17:13 12 Jun 2006

Can you not access it through IE.

De Nada 17:43 12 Jun 2006

i can get the pages of windows update and microsoft update,but it says that the page(s)cannot be accessed, i went onto help and support and it said to go to services and check that it is set to automatic,but its not there,ive been having problems for a couple of weeks now,it seems that some files have vanished,i cant even get to download sp2 because all links take me to windows update,i ran belarc and it says im missing 32 critical updates,is there a way to get these?.

VoG II 17:48 12 Jun 2006

click here may help

De Nada 17:59 12 Jun 2006

thanks i will read through them and get back,

De Nada 15:21 13 Jun 2006

still no joy, emailed microsoft last night,got back to me earlier,gave a link to download sp2,went through the setup as described after downloading to desktop,half way through install window popped up saying access denied,clicked ok,another window saying sp2 only partially installed,no sign in add/remove,would it be easier for me just to back up my progs and my documents,format,and re-install?,i have never been in this position before so what is the prcedure to do a clean install,and do i need to backup anything else?,thanks for your help,this is driving me crazy,

Kingfisher 15:08 24 Oct 2006

Have just installed sp2 for a friend of mine, but when I click on the "windows update" button windows replies with"checking if windows has latest update software for your pc" but proceeds no further.The pc does not freeze and I can click out of it if I want to. sp2 installed perfectly with no problems all all connections to the internet and outl;ook express work fine,
any help would be appreciated

terryf 15:23 24 Oct 2006

how was it resolved, it may help others to know how

Kingfisher 15:39 24 Oct 2006

sorry I have posted this on the wrong page, having a bad day

Kingfisher 15:53 24 Oct 2006

I will try again,service pack 2 was pc advisor handout some time ago, It installed with no problems on my friends pc. On clicking on the windows updates I cannot proceed past the windows upgrade page which says "checking if windows has latest update software" I left it about 15mins but would go no further,internet access etc all work fine, any help would be appreciated.
PS I hope I haven't hijacked De Nada's posting apologies if I have

anskyber 16:02 24 Oct 2006

Any help? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?