unable to access web pages

haresear 16:10 11 Jul 2007

System = Vista home
computer has just (today) become very slow loading web sites and sometimes shows the error message"internet explorer cannot display the webpage etc".
Then it does it after a few tries , then stops again.
I have just been told that other people are having the same probs and that the latest msoft updates could be the cause.
Any ideas will be welcome

uesquebeathus 16:30 11 Jul 2007

there could be a few reasons, virus, spyware, highjacked browser, you really should run antivirus and anti spyware tools to make sure that your system is clean and therefore working efficiently,

ASquared
a free trial from here

click here

Spybot S&D
click here

avg free anti mallware/spyware
download a thirty day trial for free from

click here

haresear 17:38 11 Jul 2007

Have run as you suggested - no problems found.Still random as to whether home page loads , or in fact any page.Any other ideas?

Andy1991 20:39 11 Jul 2007

I'm having the same problem just to day. hey anybody got bill gates number so we can prank call him. lol. I had 6 updates today.

birdface 09:34 12 Jul 2007

Right click bottom taskbar.Task Manager.Processes,Under Cpu is there any programs using a high % of it. Like svchost.exe.There have been a lot of faulty up-dates from Microsoft lately,And it is probably looking for up-dates all the time. Turn off automatic up-dates in security center in control panel,And see if that helps.That is of course if you have automatic up-dates installed.

birdface 09:59 12 Jul 2007

Sorry .Should have said ,you may have to re-boot computer for it to work.

haresear 10:10 12 Jul 2007

Thanks to Andy1991,Buteman and Uesquebeathus:}
System ok this morning!!
I uninstalled all updates done just prior to the problem but no difference.
Did notice that Task Manager takes a long time to settle down after startup (showing >50% ),but all seems well in my own private Msoft heaven this morning.
Once again thanks for the prompt response and the good advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone