Unable to access USB Hard drive after defragging

MIke 22:07 21 Aug 2008

Help!

I use a USB external hard drive (Western Digital 120GB) to keep backups of my documents and MP3 files.

I was trying out IOBITs Smart defrag v 6 today, and defragged my c drive with no problem. I then used it to defrag the external USB drive, as it was going to take an hour I left the pc and told IOBIT to shut down the pc after defragging.

When I try to re-boot I can't get into windows for several minutes. The USB external drive's access light is flickering constantly. Eventually windows starts up but the USB drive, although showing in my computer with a drive letter is inaccesible. Vista tells me it needs formatting before it can be used.

I've tried formatting it within windows but disk management just stops responding.

Any ideas how ~I can re-format the drive outside of windows using a bootable floppy. It's ages since I used any DOS commands, but I suspect MS Dos wouldn't support USB anyway.

Thanks for any ideas
MIke

PO79 11:22 22 Aug 2008

If XP try this click here

MIke 18:15 22 Aug 2008

Thanks for that I've already tried Paragon Partition manager with no luck. However I have managed to solve the issue, by first of all booting into Vista without the USB drive attached, then opening disk management. I then connected the usb drive and refreshed the disk management. Doing it this way allowed me to format the USB drive without disk management not responding error. Incidentally the status of the drive before formatting was shown as RAW. I'm surprised a defrag utility would have this effect on a drive.Don't think I'll be using Iobit's smartdefrag again!

MIke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone