Unable to access some sites - XP(2)

cpcspain 16:10 16 Nov 2005

I have Norton, Lavasoft, ant-Spam, ant-popup and every other kind of software to prevent "nasties" invading, but despite that something seems to have go into the works. I am an IT professional, so it hurst even more as I've tried all the usual things. Thsi problem seems to be some sites where a hyperlink gives access to data or a download, but not all sites are involved. The PC also plays a "buzz"-type sound when it happens, but nothing else occurs. Fortunately it doesn't affect bank accounts (yet), but I'm just mystified - anyone out there had a similar experience, and did you find the culplit?

Skyver 16:11 16 Nov 2005

Can you post an example link?

Skyver 16:48 16 Nov 2005

The link you sent was blocked by Google toolbar's pop up blocker from within Internet Explorer, although other javascript links were fine and the link in question worked OK when I allowed the popup - I know it sounds too obvious but there must some sort of popup blocker running on your system somewhere.
Also check your Java Machine is working properly click here

keewaa 17:18 16 Nov 2005

There's always the possibility that the host files is corrupted and blocking certain sites ... I edit it myself to block certain ad sites.

cpcspain 01:10 17 Nov 2005

Thanks Skyver - there were two hidden popups, and the Java was for the wrong operating system and out of date as well !!

Well solved

Jaro 23:39 17 Nov 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone