Unable to access flash drive

PeterCutting 10:37 26 Jul 2007

Help,
Computer muppet at a loss here.

My work PC has a number of different network drives including a remote 'F drive'.

I recently bought a WD Book pro external drive to back up some really important stuff in my office. This works fine.....but since installing the WD book when I put my USB mass storage device flash stick into any of my USB slots (hard wired or in a powered usb hub) I cant access the flash drive. Bizzarely the PC powers it up, it lights up, the PC goes 'bing' to say hello I know you are there and the icon appears in the system tray to say it is connecting ...but 'my computer' does not show the drive and I cant access its files or save to it unless I shut down the PC and restart it..when it then 'sees' the flash drive and calls it 'f drive'..but then I lose my network f drive. Device manager says my flash stick is functioning properly

Help please

Peter

PeterCutting 11:46 26 Jul 2007

bump

thms 12:04 26 Jul 2007

Is your WD Book connected when you try your flash drive?
If yes try disconnecting it then try using your flash drive.

I would normaly suspect to many usb connections drawing to much power but you say you have a powered hub.

54david27 12:08 26 Jul 2007

hello Peter, I had the same problem as you in the past and the reason for this was that your WD Book drive and USB drive have the same drive letter so there is a conflict. The way I solved the problem was to rename my USB drive as X. To do this you in XP you need to disconnect your WD book and have your USB drive plugged in, then open Computer management
To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management, then you should see your disk drives(C, D etc)and also your USB drive(F), Right click on F and you should see change drive letters and path, left click on this and another window will open, you then click on change and this will allow you to change the drive letter for the USB drive to a letter thats not being used. You could also change the letter of your WD drive if you prefer by using the same method but having this plugged in instead on the USB drive.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

David

thms 12:15 26 Jul 2007

This may also be of interest as it mentions network drives.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?