unable to access any FTP sites or upload

duffymoon 16:58 03 Jan 2007

hi I am unable to access any FTP sites, I am running norton internet security but this has been configured to allow smart FTP and net objects fusion to permit. I can't even connect through IE7 keep getting this message after i run the diagnostic check
Windows did not detect any problems with your internet connection over HTP or HTTPS, but was not able to make a successful connection over FTP. the most likley cause of this problem is that a firewall client running on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports.

any ideas?
thanks
Dave

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:05 03 Jan 2007

I stopped using anything to do with Norton a few years ago because of it's peculiarities and error causing, but I would imagine there must be a set up or tools menu to allow you to name safe programs a way through.

STREETWORK 10:13 06 Jan 2007

I have only just experienced the same problem and am working on it, at the moment I believe it is the router firewall...

STREETWORK 10:20 06 Jan 2007

Sorted...

Open your router configuration tool and disable the firewall. FTP your site and then re-enable the firewall.

It worked for me...

duffymoon 10:11 08 Jan 2007

yep this works, bit concerned about disabling the firewall but needs must, might try turning on windows firewall first. thanks again.
dave

mco 17:02 08 Jan 2007

Can I just back up what Barryoneoff says - I'd really give Norton a wide berth if at all poss. SO keen was it to protect me once a few years ago it wouldn't actually allow me on the internet at all.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone