Un-install and registry query.

muddypaws 19:52 26 May 2009

I use Revo un-installer with Win XP Home SP2.
This is probably a dumb question.........
The other day I upgraded Google Earth to v 5 beta.
It turned out to be very slow, so I uninstalled it using Revo. Normally I leave the setting on the default 'C' but on this occasion I selected 'D'.
The left over files totalled 600+ so clicked 'select all'.
I then couldn't find the previous version to download. So went to my cloned internal drive D to copy paste back into C. When I opened GE all of 'My Places' had vanished. I assume that Revo had cleared both internal drives registries.
Another clone onto an external that was not connected at time of uninstall had also lost all of the entries.
Question is( as I said a dumb one) do not each of the drives have its own registry?
I can understand both the internals losing the info. but the external also has an unbootable OS on it.
Do I hear someone weeping at my ignorance?!
Thanks.

T I M B O 20:34 02 Jun 2009

1) I think the best thing to do is download Google Earth again, then remove it with the proper software. I have had many people say that Revo is not such a good move. then clean up with Ccleaner>>> click here

Run both the Cleaner & the registery then install google earth again.

Best of luck !!

DieSse 21:10 02 Jun 2009

"..do not each of the drives have its own registry?"

Normally they don't.

"..the external also has an unbootable OS.."

There may well be a registry file in the OS on that drive - however it won't be in use, and modifying it should cause no ill effects.

However Revo may well search all you drives looking for data petaining to the program it was uninstalling, and assume it should be deleted.

You should not leave cloned drives attached to a working system - it may cause unpredictable happenings. Cloned OS drives are not simple data drives.

DieSse 21:15 02 Jun 2009

"So went to my cloned internal drive D to copy paste back into C."

You cannot do that with installed programs. To get back a fully functioning GE with all your places, from a clone, you would have to restore the whole of the clone, including the cloned registry and all of the settings files.

DieSse 21:20 02 Jun 2009

"..do not each of the drives have its own registry?"

Just to make it clear - a cloned drive will of course have a registry - in fact it has every file present at the time the clone was made. That's what a clone is - a 100% duplicate or the original.

That doesn't mean you can copy piecemeal from it - you can copy data files - but not installed programs. Installed programs have files scattered all over the drive, and entries in setting files such as the registry.

If you've totally deleted GE from the C: drive, including My Places - then re-installing from scratch will have no My Places - and simply copying the installed version will not contasin anywhere near enough the files to make it wotk correctly.

muddypaws 19:22 07 Jun 2009

Thanks all.
Have been on hols in Cornwall for a week hence the delay.
DieSse
"You should not leave cloned drives attached to a working system - it may cause unpredictable happenings. Cloned OS drives are not simple data drives."
Are you saying that everytime I complete an incremental to my P clone I should pull the ide cable off it till the next incremental?
That doesn't make sense to me, but you are more knowledgeable than me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?