Un-Install problem with laptop

wotan 21:28 06 Aug 2006

I am using F.S. Amilo Pro 2010 laptop running XP Home. Have un-installed Norton Systemworks 2003 and replaced it with McAfee 8.0 Anti-virus. Now I cannot get Windows Firewall to run, or connect to my wireless network for web access. I have tried un-installing McAfee and re-installing Norton, but problem persists. Out of sheer frustration I have tried replacing them with Avast A.V. Problem still persists. have tried System Restore but cannot get wireless connection to router no matter what I do. I am seriously considering using XP restore disc, even if it means losing everything, as long as it gets things working again. Any and all help gratefully received.

ArrGee 21:33 06 Aug 2006

Thanks for posting this, as I have had endless problems in the past with Norton, and the pains involved in getting rid of it (which I have finally done through a complete format and re-install). I now use Avast and it's doing a grand job. Looking forward to a definitave answer to getting shot of Norton, but also (to be fair to them) why their AV is so intrusive.

VoG II 21:45 06 Aug 2006

click here= to get rid of Norton and good riddance!

Strawballs 21:49 06 Aug 2006

Hear Hear VoG™

phono 21:58 06 Aug 2006

Try clicking Start > Run, in the field beside Open: type sfc /scannow exactly as is with a space between sfc and /scannow.

Now hit return and have your Windows installation CD to hand and insert it when requested, System File Checker (sfc) will now look for any missing or corrupted system files and replace them as required, when it has finished reboot and post back with the result.

wotan 22:01 06 Aug 2006

sorry, I should have added that I performed the same un-install with my desktop and installed McFee and that is running fine. The problem seems to be confined to the laptop. Thanks for the speedy replies, I gather others out there have had problems like this.

mammak 22:03 06 Aug 2006

follow Vogtms link in getting rid of Norton yuk and learn from your experince dont have it on your system again, and if you back up all your progs, photos, tunes ect why the need to reinstall and lose everything? none what so ever for a few pence for a cd or a few more for a dvd there is no need at all to lose everything backup is the key to success regards.

phono 22:20 06 Aug 2006

Uninstalling Norton may be fine but doesn't allow Wotan access to his/her wireless network for Internet access.

mammak 22:27 06 Aug 2006

I was not at this point refering to his access to the network only on taking very good advice on getting rid of Norton, and then how there was was no need for him/her to lose every thing good practise in my opinion but I may be missing somthing regads.

phono 22:34 06 Aug 2006

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you in any way, I assumed, probably wrongly, that Wotan's main concern was accessing his/her wireless network.

mammak 22:37 06 Aug 2006

or even regards.

and what does phono gets him access to his/her wireless internet network post please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?