Un-install old program?

chris_o 08:13 06 Apr 2004

I tried a trial of Partition Magic V8 and thought i had deleted it. Some months later i bought the real thing and tried to installit and was informed couldnt proceed until previous copy was removed.
Although there IS a line Partition magic in the Add/Remove panel there is nothing to click to remove, also in the message gives what i think is a hex code i cannot fing it in the registry under Un-install or any reference to Partion magic!
Help anyone please? thanks

Stuartli 09:18 06 Apr 2004

Is it, by any chance, still listed in Start>Programs or even in Program Files?

A long shot, but if so there may be an Uninstall option.

Gongoozler 09:24 06 Apr 2004

There is probably a registry entry that hasn't been removed. I think you may be able to find the answer to your problem from the Symantec online support click here

bananaslik 09:25 06 Apr 2004

hi chris-o,go into start/search & pick search for all files & folders.do a search from hear & then follow the path for each file & manually delete each one.

SANTOS7 09:28 06 Apr 2004

click here enter "partition magic" into this and scan for it might need more than one it will erase any trace of PM8 which will enable you to install

chris_o 15:54 07 Apr 2004

Thanks for all your help folks but i cannot find ANY folders anywhere foe Powerquest or Partition magic, there's no entry in add/remove programs anymore. I used the suggested reg crawler it found some wntries which i deleted but when i go to install it gets to - configuring windows installer and stops saying- Another version is already installed, cannot continue, it displays what i think is a hexcode which i typed into reg crawler and it found 4 entries which i deleted but STILL NO LUCK!!
I'm givin up!

Stuartli 16:13 07 Apr 2004

I presume you've looked through these?

click here

If you still have the trial version, might be worth reinstalling it and then uninstalling again using the method detailed.

Eastender 17:44 07 Apr 2004

Have a look at jv16 PowerTools which, last time I looked was still available for download free from

click here

GaT7 18:21 07 Apr 2004

Solution: GUID Registry Numbers to Remove if Uninstall Fails (PartitionMagic, Drive Image, BootMagic)

If a customer is unable to uninstall their PowerQuest program, have them search for and remove all the program's GUIDs. These GUIDs may exist as folders on their hard drive or as keys in the Windows registry.

Following is a list of GUIDs for various PowerQuest products:

PartitionMagic 8.0

6BE2A4A4-99FB-48ED-AE1E-4E850389F804

NOTE: The customer may also need to remove the following GUID (if it exists): 4A4A2EB6BF99DE84EAE1E45830988F40

PartitionMagic 7.0

E39C74DF-58FD-4E52-9888-2CC59DFB0B34

Source: click here

woodchip 18:44 07 Apr 2004

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Partition Magic V8 click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Partition Magic V8 in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Partition Magic V8 and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Partition Magic V8 then reboot your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?