Uh Oh!! Fizz, pop spark when switching on PC

Picklefactory 16:15 29 Nov 2007

Hello folks.
I switched pc on last night and it went fizz, pop and I saw some sparks flash from back of PSU where power cable connects. I am hoping that it's just PSU gone bang and nothing else is fried (Hopefully, as PC was off), but thought it prudent to check here before just replacing and powering up, in case there are other potential issues I should look at. PSU is around 2 or 3 years old and has been trouble free till now.

crosstrainer 16:18 29 Nov 2007

No longer covered by a warranty, open the case, and check to see if any areas of the motherboard and components appear to be damaged. Chances are that a replacement psu will fix the problem, but memory, cpu's are delicate and can appear perfect yet will not function.

Picklefactory 16:32 29 Nov 2007

Thanks crosstrainer, no warranty I'm afraid. I'll give it a thorough inspection and try a new PSU (I can scrounge one from IT dept to test)
Cheers

octal 16:44 29 Nov 2007

Have you tried a new mains lead? The reason I say that the IEC plugs are terrible for this sort of thing, bain of my life those things.

Picklefactory 18:09 29 Nov 2007

Checked mobo for any obvious damage and nothing I could see, flung in a spare 500w PSU I scrounged from work and I'm up and running. In hindsight, it must have been on it's way out for a week or so, as it failed to start once last week. I checked power lead at the time, and it was dead, but stupid sealed one, so couldn't check fuse. Changed lead and PC fired up with no bother, so I put that down to dodgy lead. But fizz, pop yesterday was a bit different. All seems OK just now, I'll order new PSU and see how I go.
Thanks for advice folks.

Arnie 18:25 29 Nov 2007

"I checked power lead at the time, and it was dead, but stupid sealed one, so couldn't check fuse".

Don't throw away the lead, simply cut off the plug and fit a new black plug with a 5 amp fuse.

I am Spartacus 19:17 29 Nov 2007

As far as I know although the plugs are sealed at either end you should still have access to the fuse (just checked 2 of my cables).

I wouldn't personally reuse a cable that had led to a fizz, pop, bang even if I'd replaced the plug though.

Arnie 00:35 30 Nov 2007

"I wouldn't personally reuse a cable that had led to a fizz, pop, bang even if I'd replaced the plug though".

Of course, I agree if the plug socket pins are heat discoloured.
I have repaired a number of these plug and socket cables in my technician days.
I reset the plug socket pins by levering a thin scriber down the side of the pin housing.

With the 13A plug disconnected from the mains!!!

This technique can also be used to tighten SCART sockets on TVs and VCRs etc.

I can't believe some of the things others were going to throw away, that I have brought back to life.
I see it as a challenge.

Picklefactory 12:39 30 Nov 2007

Thanks folks, all good advice (As usual)

crosstrainer 12:53 30 Nov 2007

Never re-use a lead (oem cost about 13p) put it in the bin, you have no way of knowing what has happened within the shrouding.

If anyone is desperate, I must have 100's of the things :)

Arnie 00:26 01 Dec 2007

"oem cost about 13p".

Are you pulling my leg?

My local Maplin store, £4.99.

Ebay 99p + £2 postage.

Do you bulk import them from China?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?