Ubuntu needs uninstalling

grizzley 14:05 22 Jan 2009

i am looking for help in removing Ubuntu from my laptop completely. I installed from a disc, but install used whole of the drive, and no separate partion is available for XP. I want to remove Ubuntu because i dislike it, to much hassle trying to find way round the operating system. i tried to using my XP recovery disk but it can not create a partion. I am getting angry because of it, it is totally annoying. Can some please help me sort it, in plain english. i have looked on web but do not understand some of what is being said. Thanks.

DieSse 14:37 22 Jan 2009

XP is not very clever at removing non Windows partitions then. Try complaining to MS about it ;-)

One simple way is to put the drive back to an "as new" unformatted state with Killdisk. Then your XP CD will function normally.

click here

Poitier 14:50 22 Jan 2009

I am afraid that you followed the wrong proceedure when you installed it .To uninstall you will need to uninstall the Grub boot loader (do Google search)You can then delete the Linux partitionns using Disc Manager in XP I have only done this on the XP/Ubuntu dual boot.

Poitier 15:11 22 Jan 2009

Sorry I have just realised that you do not have XP. Perhaps you could use a live Gparted CD to delete the partitions.

T0SH 15:31 22 Jan 2009

There are boot CD equivalents of Windows 98 boot floppy discs available out there download and burn one of them

This is one of many places to get them

click here

Booting to it will get you to an A:\ prompt from where you can run fdisk

There is a fdisk emulation walk through here

click here

follow through it a few times when you get to where it shows you how to delete partitions pay special attention

you want to get to and use is the option to

"Delete Non-DOS Partition"

This will remove Linux and its Grub bootloader

Always remember it requires a reboot to apply any changes made with fdisk

Once you have done this XP Setup should no longer have a problem

Cheers HC

Graham. 15:36 22 Jan 2009

I wonder if a recovery disc will install on an unformatted disc. You may need to borrow an XP installation disc. Or buy one.

scotty 15:40 22 Jan 2009

I suggest you start ubuntu, and run GParted. This is a very good partitioning tool provided with most linux distributions. It should be available from one of the pull down menues.

Reduce the size of the ubuntu partition.
With the free space this creates, make a new partition and choose NTFS file system.
Now try the XP install.

Alternatively, you can could use the ubuntu install cd (as suggested by Poitier) to run GParted and delete all existing partitions and create a new NTFS partition for the XP install.

grizzley 16:58 22 Jan 2009

i emailed the tech guys for an easier option to uninstall. i was given the following advice which solved my problem. insert recovery disk and restart, at the R screen hold down CTRL & backspace,next press 4 delete drive, next repeat first step CTRL-backspace, press 5 to delete boot record, CTRL-backspace, press 7 to create new partion, then back at the R screen continue to reinstall.
thanks to all who replied to my cry for help much appreciated. thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?