Ubuntu Media Center

X™ 16:52 31 Jul 2007

Basicly I've just set up a really decent Hi-Fi in my room. Now I have to use CDs or my MP3 Player on a low quality sound. I want to set up a spare PC with Ubentu and a duel boot Windows XP which wont be used much. Here's what I'm working with:

Intel Celeron 800MHZ 100MHz sBUS
640MB SDRAM, although the motherboard reaps 256MB for graphics and sound, and I can't change it.
20GB Maxtor
20GB Western Digital
Any other hard drive I put in there
DVD Player
CD Writer that can easily slide in place of the DVD if I ever want to burn a CD.
OnBoard graphics

What sort of quality DVD playing should I expect? I'm downloading Ubuntu 7.04 but will download the Media Center for it when it comes out for V7 of Ubuntu.

So yeah, will it play my Music and DVDs nicely? I'm setting up an Infinity surround sound, so it'd be nice if it can play DVDs nicely.

Also, I know how to use Linux, and have used Ubuntu before, and really liked it, and I can use it fine.

Thanks guys, just gotta tidy my room to set it up. Lol.

X™ 21:58 31 Jul 2007

I really like it, the new stuff in it and all. So yeah, anyone have any thoughts on it? Sound should be good, the only thing I found really odd was the fact it couldn't play MP3s. I downloaded a codec and it played. That's the only problem I can see as the PC won't be on the internet. I'll have to download stuff for it on this PC and transfer it.

Any advice apreciated I'm going to get a 3/5/10m 3.5mm Jack to RCA Phono out for the amp, and then set it up for surround sound too, the cables will be thick Gold ones, my dad is a HiFi fanatic and I know a few tips to setting it up.

Thanks guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?