UBUNTU Live CD query

Simsy 09:18 08 Mar 2008

Folks,

I have UBUNTU 7.10 on CD.

With a previous version, 7.04, I could boot from the CD and run it "live"

The 7.10 version doesn't appear to offer the option to run live. I can boot from the CD, but it only offers various install options.

Have I missed something... do I need a special "live" version of 7.10?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Simsy

kjrider 09:43 08 Mar 2008

This won't be of much help to you, but I am using 7.10 64 bit version at the moment, installed on an old spare 20Gb HD.

20 mins after putting the CD in, I was on the internet with it all working - and the Office suite can show the new M$ 2007 Excel spreadsheets.

Have a look at the website - there seem to be quite a few versions of it.

I am getting quite into Ubuntu and its tempting to leave M$ altogether. Has a lot of nice screen savers on it!

KJR

Simsy 10:03 08 Mar 2008

I'd previously installed 7.04, having run it live. This was gradually updated to 7.10...

I'm now in a reinstall situation with a new HDD, so I don't currently have it installed, and will use the 7.1 disc I now have to install from...

However, a mate is coming round shortly and I was intending to demonstrate how to run a live CD... I don't seem able to do so with the disc I have?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 11:14 08 Mar 2008

The standard download of all versions normally does create a live CD.

If'n you want to be really flash and show the latest (pre-release) version of Ubuntu - you can get version 8.04 alpha6.

It runs fine, and as standard has the Compiz eye-candy operating.

click here

Simsy 11:19 08 Mar 2008

do I run the live CD?

I'm not offered that option, as I was in previous version?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 11:22 08 Mar 2008

It boots and just runs - if yours doesn't then either somehow you get the wrong version, or the download was corrupt - or something else.

DieSse 11:26 08 Mar 2008

I no longer have a 7.10 CD to try, and see what it actually says - but I remember they have always been obvious - so if yours isn't somethings up (as they say)

Simsy 12:59 08 Mar 2008

but the options then available to me are;

"Install to the Hard Disc"
"Check CD for defects"
"Rescue a Broken System"
"Memory Test"
"Boot from first Hard Disc"

The first of those options, in the 7.04 version said, "Install to Hard disc or Run from CD"

If I press F1, HELP one of the options is "Boot methods for special ways of using this CDROM" but going that way doesn't give me any "live options either??

I got this on the coverDVD of PCPro magazine. I'm going to try the download and see if I do any better from that!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 16:39 08 Mar 2008

by re-burning the CD. Something had obviously gone wrong in the original attempt!

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?