Ubuntu / Linux - Drivers for hardware?

Stroller 17:58 14 Dec 2008

I am currently running XP pro, and I am seriously considering Ubunto.

I have 'C' drive in a removable cradle, (all of my data is on two SATA drives which are fixed and backed up to an external HDD).

I can install Ubunto on to a spare drive, so I can return to XP easily if required.
I have some hardware which I am not sure if they will work on Ubunto as I have not been able to find suitable drivers.

Main thing is a Microsoft mouse, which has a button to enable sections of the screen to be magnified (my wife has sever visual impairment and this essential for her to use PC), and I have a DVB-T stick which I use frequently for recording programs to use on my MP4 gadget.

So can we find drivers for most hardware out there?

Stroller

MAT ALAN 19:43 14 Dec 2008

click here

this may help...

LastChip 20:23 14 Dec 2008

Why not simply download and burn the iso to a CD and then run it "Live" from the CD.

This will tell you what (if any) problems you are likely to face with hardware and give you a feel for the distro.

If you want a more Windows like experience, try Kubuntu.

You can try any amount of mainstream distros in this way, until you find one you like.

Burning the distro is where a lot of people come unstuck. I don't know if you're familiar with the process, but I wrote this for such occasions and hopefully, it will help: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie