ubuntu on laptop

pegangray 09:31 16 Jan 2009

I want to fit a new sata hard drive on my laptop (Have fitted one before) and load it with ubuntu, which I have downloaded from net. What I need to know is How do I set up the hard drive (brand new not formatted) to take the download from CD. Do I need a boot disc? Any help gratefully accepted!

All the best

pegangray

scotty 09:58 16 Jan 2009

When you bootup the pc from the Ubuntu ISO cd, you will be given the options to run Ubuntu from the cd or to install Ubuntu. I would recommend a quick trial running Ubuntu from the cd (referred to as running Ubuntu Live) as this should demonstrate that your hardware is compatible.

When you select the install option you are again running Ubuntu Live for the install process. One of the software packages included is GParted, a partition manager. This will handle the formatting of the drive.

Ubuntu makes a guess at how you want the operating system configured. As you are installing Ubuntu on a new disc, the default option for partitioning will probably be to use the whole disc for Ubuntu. This option should be OK for your situation.

Ubuntu's install process is very simple and intuitive with the only complicated part being partitioning if you are wanting to dual boot (i.e have the option at boot of selecting different operating systems). If you are doing this with an Windows already installed, read carefully a HowTo on the subject and ensure you perform a back-up of all your data.

pegangray 11:41 16 Jan 2009

Thank you for your advice scotty

LastChip 14:09 16 Jan 2009

I would suggest you do a manual set-up of your partitions.

It's always good practice to have your /home partition separate from the others. If then you need to reload the system, or perhaps want to change to a different system, providing you don't format /home, your personal data should remain intact.

click here for something I wrote a while back, that will help you understand how Linux identifies drives, and click here for information on a typical Linux installation. It includes screen shots of the manual partitioning process. (click on thumbnail to expand image). Although it deals with PCLinuxOS, all Linux distros are similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?