Ubuntu and antivirus

hassled 15:57 10 Oct 2009

Page 12 of PCAdvisor (Nov) says 71% of new threats are Trojans designed to steal bank details. I am thinking of buying a Dell Mini10 just do use for internet banking. It uses Ubuntu. Much of the web says i don't need anti-virus because virus makers do not attack Linux - seemingly for reasons based on morals amongst these nasty people that only want to attack MS products. But I am thinking that that is a different purpose to stealing my bank details. What is the answer to this and will by bank accept no Norton/McAfee if I use Ubuntu?

howard64 16:52 10 Oct 2009

most banks have their own system of security and how you sign in. The bank site normally does not make any distinction as to what your pc is running. I have used chrome, firefox and IE7 to use my banks site.

Belatucadrus 17:28 10 Oct 2009
  dms_05 17:48 10 Oct 2009

I use Linux without any a/v software but I do run a Firewall, you shouldn't need a/v software but use the above link if it makes you feel any safer.

LastChip 21:29 10 Oct 2009

Linux as a rule does not suffer from viruses or malware. This is not because of morals, but much more to do with the way Linux is constructed. It has far superior security when compared to Windows.

If you want to use an anti-virus software solution, clamav is a built in application that will do the job nicely.

But it is fair to say, most Linux users don't bother, as viruses and malware are a non-issue. In fact, to date, I've never heard of a Linux machine that has become infected.

click here for a better explanation that I can offer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?