ubuntu affected<windows root>system32\hal.dll file

Jwbjnwolf 15:03 06 Mar 2011
Answered

click here

I have just installed Ubuntu next to mac os x and windows on a seperate partition.

I had a performance getting back into mac os x, but that was due to mac not reconising my keboard so I got out a wired one and booted from os x install disk to select start up disk.

Ubuntu seemed to of effected a windows xp startup file which is stopping me from booting into windows at the moment.

when I try booting into windows, I says that this file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root> system32\hal .dll.
How do I sort it out?

LastChip 15:35 06 Mar 2011

MAC's are nice machines, but they are locked down even worse than Windows.

Only very reluctantly, did Apple allow Windows to be dual booted and now you're adding Ubuntu into the mix. Furthermore, you're trying to boot Ubuntu in a virtual drive, within XP, which is itself in OSX.

click here and it may help, but you have to be very careful you don't screw up OSX in the process

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 06 Mar 2011

Hal.dll missing or corrupt click here

Jwbjnwolf 17:21 06 Mar 2011

none of them are in virtual machines.
Just all on three seperate hdds.

bremner 18:33 06 Mar 2011

In your other thread on this click here ! you say you have three partitions.

In this thread you say you have three hard drives which is it?

Jwbjnwolf 18:40 06 Mar 2011

Oh sorry, meant partitions.

bremner 18:42 06 Mar 2011

Bootcamp will only allow two partitions, what method have you used to get the third?

Jwbjnwolf 18:48 06 Mar 2011

ubuntu set up.

bremner 18:56 06 Mar 2011

If this explains how you did it click here read the opening paragraph about iMacs.

Jwbjnwolf 09:12 07 Mar 2011

So I guess the simplest way is to divide the hdd by using boot camp and then divide boot camp partition into 2, and then install xp and the ubuntu?

bremner 09:23 07 Mar 2011

Bootcamp only allows one partition in addition to the Mac partition. There are ways around it.

Put Ubuntu onto an external USB drive and use ReFit to boot - I have been unable to get this to work on my iMac but it works OK on a MacBook. This seems to tie in with what has been said in the link above regarding the EFI on iMacs.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 running in Parallels on the Mac Partition and this is trouble free.

I am sure there may be clever ways around this problem but I was not prepared to spend the time or risk messing up the iMac.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?