ubuntu 9.04 wont run on my laptop when 8.10 worked

timerep 18:22 19 Jun 2009

hi guys, I know the forums are primarily windows but a word or two on Linux would be a big help. I have a compaq armada 1 gig 512 ram laptop that ran ubuntu 8.10 fine, but when the upgrade arrived oh dear, the set up would start and the logo appeared then the loading line and about ten seconds in the whole lot stops. seems like the new version don't like the laptop for some reason when even this old timer will run the beta of windows 7 quite well. have not got any help from the ubuntu forums, rather fed up but there must be some way around it? have tried safe mode and it says the system clock is unstable ? should I just wait for windows 7 or can someone figure out what may be happening thanks in anticipation.

ton 20:16 19 Jun 2009

Have you tried downloading and burning Ubuntu again?

Maybe corrupt somewhere along the line.

IF there is a problem with Ubuntu, it will probably be fixed, so I would stick with the old version for a while (certainly better than Windoze 7).

timerep 23:02 19 Jun 2009

hi Ive downloaded just about every way I can via torrent and normal but the same thing happens as it does with linux mint 7 and anything based upon ubuntu 9.04 cant understand why as the laptop worked fine under the previous version and its well within the spec for ubuntu in general, I think it may have something to do with the graphics chipset but not really sure. having tried many versions of linux I do prefer it to windows at the end of the day but it would be good if I could get this to work any ideas would be good.

LastChip 23:50 19 Jun 2009

but Ubuntu 9.04 is buggy.

As an aside, I was having a discussion this week with a colleague and although he didn't agree, I think trying to ship six monthly distros is a step too far. It doesn't seem to give the developers time to iron out all the wrinkles.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd either go back to 8.10 or try PCLinuxOS 2009 or even Fedora core 10

One other thought, does 9.04 run OK from a live CD?

timerep 09:24 20 Jun 2009

hi again, yes I have had my suspicions on 9.04 as well, but the laptop will run fedora 10 and the new 11,it wont do the pc linux same hanging problem on loading,but will run open suse 11 and as I say ubuntu 8.10 also linux mint 6 but not 7 as its based around the buggy 9.04 and no the 9.04 wont run as a live cd the same thing happens.
is there any distribution you would recommend above all others?

LastChip 13:51 20 Jun 2009

It comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

I do use Fedora core 10 on my own laptop without any issues, so perhaps it's as good as any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?