Ubuntu 7.10 Networking Set Up

Linkychain 12:55 29 Dec 2007

I've just installed Ubuntu 7.10 dual booting with windows xp. I can access my tiscali broadband connection easily on xp, but have had trouble doing so on Ubuntu. I think I installed the drivers for my sagem [email protected] 800 E2T modem through the synaptic package manager but am unsure. I have tried the instructions on these pages click here
click here
and this page
click here
without success. I don't know whether I have installed the drivers and my problem lies with setting up the connection.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.

LastChip 00:19 30 Dec 2007

If you go back into Synaptic, do both the eagle packages indicate they are installed?

If so, if you go back to your first link, click here there is a crucial piece of information at step 7, relating to going to a "root terminal". Did you do that? (essentially in Linux, only "root" - administrator in Linux can make configuration changes). Further, please understand unlike Windows, virtually ALL commands are case sensitive, so must be copied with great care.

When you got to step 8, did "eagleconfig" work, and did it tell you the configuration was successful? (step 14)

To be honest, you've jumped in at the deep end, not through any fault of your own, but getting modems to work in Linux can be a nightmare.

The easy option is to buy a ADSL/Router, but I appreciate if you are only trying the system, you may not want that expense.

Linkychain 14:29 31 Dec 2007

In synaptic both packages indicate they have been installed. I did do step 7 in the root terminal but at the option asking whether to startup at boot I typed no and it tells me that I've performed an illegal action. Thanks

LastChip 19:19 01 Jan 2008

All I can suggest is to run this configuration again and see if it plays ball.

You could also opt to say yes (rather than no) as you're on broadband and see if it will accept that. After all, there is no reason why you shouldn't accept it to start at boot; is there?

Linkychain 16:15 04 Jan 2008

I did try saying yes to the same effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?