ubuntu

professore 15:14 26 Oct 2007

Hi again. I have a disk with a few programs and amongst those there is also Ubuntu. I copied it onto another dvd so that i could use as a boot up disk as well, changed the boot sequence in the Bios to check if it would work but unfortunately it does not want to boot up. The copy shows in the dvd drive though!!
Can anyone help on this issue. Thanks

BurrWalnut 16:12 26 Oct 2007

I think you need to make a Ubuntu bootable CD not DVD.

Pamy 17:17 26 Oct 2007

I would download Ubuntu and make another disk it will run from the disk without you having to install it. If the download is too big for you then Ubuntu will send you a copy free for the asking

professore 19:44 26 Oct 2007

thank u Pamy

professore 21:29 26 Oct 2007

BTW Pamy i just did what you suggested but i can still not boot up from it. I inserted another bootable disk that i created with Paragon and that works so nothing wrong with my cd/dvd drive. Why does it not want to boot up with Ubuntu? Thank u

Pamy 10:06 27 Oct 2007

Do not know the answer, but does anything at all happen? You could try just putting the disk in your drive after you are booted into windows, then it should auto start and then follow the on screen instructions to run it

MadBob 10:09 27 Oct 2007

You are burning the disk as an ISO with something like NERO ? You can't just copy the file to a CD.

Bob

Pamy 10:10 27 Oct 2007

No sorry it will not run from there, but it should show you the browsers ie Firefox

Pamy 10:20 27 Oct 2007

If you still have problems booting your download, I would suggest that you request a free CD, it will be with you in a few days

iambeavis 12:17 27 Oct 2007

use "burnCDCC" (sixth one down the list) - it creates bootable discs from ISO files. click here

professore 14:46 27 Oct 2007

Thank u 4 your link Iambeavis. MadBob, i have not used Nero. I just doubleclicked on the Ubuntu file downloaded on my Desktop and on the left handside i clicked "copy this file to CD" and actually i could see the progress bar working. At the end of it, my cd drive would eject it and when i put the cd back into the drive to see if it is really been copied, it shows being there. I am a bit worried now, because i have done exactly the same thing when i have transfered an image of my C:\ drive onto D:\ drive using Paragon Back Up 8.5. The image shows in D:\, but since you are saying that you can not transfer an ISO file just like that, does it mean that the image has not been copied despite it showing in D:\??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?