Ubuntu

dawnal 20:50 28 Feb 2007

Can anyone tell me where I can get a complete beginners guide to installing and using Ubuntu. I have looked on lots of websites but everything I've seen seems to assume knowledge I haven't got. I have no experience with any other OS than Windows and I am concerned that Ubuntu is a bit complicated for me.

Is it?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
shuggee

woodchip 21:00 28 Feb 2007

click here Go hear for a Live CD so you can try it without loading it. It runs from the CD after loading to Memory

dawnal 21:07 28 Feb 2007

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I've downloaded the CD. I've read on several websites that you have to partition the hard drive to dual boot with Windows XP, which is what I want to do. None have given any instructions as to how to do this, however. I really nees an idiots guide for this as I am more curious than confident.

Appologies for my woefully incomplete previous post.

Thanks
shuggee

Rossi#1 21:42 28 Feb 2007

click here

You'll get all the info needed from those links, including graphical walk throughs. I hope you stuck with with the 32-bit version because the 64-bit doesnt work too well yet.

woodchip 21:49 28 Feb 2007

Have you tried the CD version?

dawnal 22:11 28 Feb 2007

Thanks for the responses. I followed the link and I did find the information I was looking for.

I'm still not confident, however so I wouuld like something to back up the entire contents of my hard drive so I can return the computer to where it was before installing Ubuntu with no loss of data.

Does such a thing exist?

The version I downloaded was 6.10. Is this the best one? I hope it is, it took ages to download.

Thanks
shuggee

Trackrat 23:56 28 Feb 2007

If you burn the ISO to disk and set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD then run the cd as live(not install) you can then get a feel for it and see if all your hardware works with it.
My brother Uses Linux Mint which is Ubuntu with a different interface and has sound and Video codecs on the disk also it has a simple program called Envy for installing Nvidia & ATI graphics drivers.

click here

ashdav 00:53 01 Mar 2007

if you try the Ubuntu live CD to get a feel of it there is a shortcut on the desktop which allows you to install it permanently to your computer.
If you choose to do this I strongly recommend the following first:-
defrag your hardrive to remove any random file placements.
use Device Manager under Windows to create a partition but do not assign a drive letter.
use the install shortcut on the Ubuntu live CD desktop to install to your hardrive.
Ubuntu will automatically look for free space on your hardrive (the partition without a drive letter you made) to install to.
Ubuntu will set up dual boot so you can choose Linux or Windows when you start up.
Most of the installation will be default so don't be scared when you are asked to set partitions at the install stage.
It looks scary but it will work.
Try it. You can always delete it afterwards if you don't like it.

dawnal 13:02 01 Mar 2007

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm, more or less sorted now.

vinnyT 14:41 01 Mar 2007

Try searching your libraries online database for Moving to Ubuntu Linux by Marcel Gange.

It's a good book to begin with.quest it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?