ubuntu

Myrddyn 20:38 19 May 2006

I installed ubuntu but all I got was a completely unreadable screen. I've tried 3 times, all with the same result. What went wrong? This is my first expereince with an open source OS and has put me off.

Diodorus Siculus 20:53 19 May 2006

Sounds like a graphics card problem; what hardware do you have? Did you try using a live CD or an install CD?

woodchip 20:56 19 May 2006

You do have to choose your Monitor settings when it's seting the OS up

woodchip 20:59 19 May 2006

I run it from a Live CD on a 98se desktop a WinXP Desktop and a WinXP Laptop. Then only probs that I have had with the Live CD is It cannot setup my Wireless Laptop to connect to the net. The Ethernet desktops are not a problem

dms05 20:59 19 May 2006

I tried the LiveCD first. Here you boot from your CD rather than HDD and the Linux is run from there. You can see if your PC is suitable for that particular distribution before you install the full Linux on your HDD. In my case everything went well and I was on the Internet within a few minutes. It was actually easier than setting up XP! So I'm now going to install the full distribution after seeing no potential pitfalls exist. I really advise you to download the LiveCD version and run it from CD/DVD.

Myrddyn 21:26 19 May 2006

I've tried the full and live cds. I thought it was a graphics problem so I bought a cheap card from ebay - sound blaster pc164 - and although the picture was different it was still unreadable. I'd like to change the graphics settings but am totally perplexed. I get a list of settings NOT to use which I am meant to delete but don't know how.

woodchip 21:28 19 May 2006

Check the reolution of your monitor in Windows, and choose the same settings from Ubuntu

Diodorus Siculus 22:52 19 May 2006

[quote]sound blaster pc164[/quote]

Sure that's a graphics card?

woodchip 12:49 20 May 2006

sound blaster is a Creative sound card, not Graphics

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?