ubuntu 10 10 problem

bruno 19:17 31 Jan 2011

I have installed Ubuntu alongside XP Home on an Acer 3610 laptop. Every thing has worked fine except that I cannot get Ubuntu to connect wirelessly to the internet. It works fine wirelessly on XP and using an Ethernet lead to my Sky router.Perhaps someone out there has had to deal with this. Any help welcome.

Strawballs 19:34 31 Jan 2011

click here See if there is any help here

LastChip 20:03 31 Jan 2011

Go to System --> Administration --> Additional Drivers and see if any come up for your wireless card.

If not, try the thread that Strawballs gave you using the madwifi drivers.

Only use ndiswrapper with your Windows drivers as a last resort. It works, but is not the easiest thing in the world to get your head around if you're new to Linux.

If all else fails, try a Live CD of Linux Mint, which generally speaking, works well with Acer wireless laptops (I use it myself). If it works OK, just use your Ubuntu partition for a Mint installation. In many respects, I think it's a better first user introduction to Linux than Ubuntu.

bruno 08:14 01 Feb 2011

Thanks for the replies, I will give them a try.

lpen1 16:42 01 Feb 2011

I to have had problems with wireless drivers in Ubuntu and also getting a scanner to work. If you just what to give Linux a try I would sugggest Mandriva. Over the last couple of years I have tried a lot of different distros and I find that Mandriva is one of the few that always get my hardware working first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?