ubunda install

chippy+ 14:36 03 Oct 2008

hi i have three pcs running xp :home upgrade,0em and pro not being able to afford to buy another os at this time i would like to try ubunda and was looking for advice as the best way to install it on another pc which has just been built which is an amd 4200 dual core, foxcon dual memory 4 bays 250 hard drive i would liked to have xp but will just have t wait thanks Chippy

Condom 15:07 03 Oct 2008

Hi Chippy
I presume you mean Ubuntu. I have just done this so here is what you do. You can either go on line and order a free CD which takes about 2 weeks to come or download the program from the internet. It is about 700MB so don't attempt this unless you have broadband. The download includes the free Office package and many other wonderful programs like Gimp. The file comes down in ISO format which you then need to burn to a CD yourself so it is useable. There is a great little free program you can download to do this called Infrarecorder or you can use Nero. I have both and found Infrarecoder to be the easiest to do this with. Once you have your CD written the rest is a breeze. Just install the cd in your player and off you go. Everything is automatic and you can go away and leave it until it is finished. It can take about 30 minutes or so depending on your PC. There are lots of Ubuntu helplines to get you started but the one thing I immediately found was that it was exceedingly fast despite being in a 6 year old PC. It was no good for me however asit will not work with my USB modem ( a common problem with most USB modems but their is a solution if you don't need your modem for anything else. I will put it on another older PC like you wish to do while I give it a good try but it certainly looks impressive. It will dual boot quite happily with XP but beware that getting rid of the dual boot choice if you remove it is not so easy as the GRUB as it is called can be a little difficult to remove. Not impossible just a little difficult. Hope this help.

chippy+ 20:23 03 Oct 2008

hi Condom
i already have a cd thanks for the reply Chippy

LastChip 21:20 03 Oct 2008

click here for a page I wrote a while back that shows you just how easy it is to install PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu is very similar.

You may also find this useful if you're new to Linux as well: click here

You may find a KDE based Linux distribution (distro) more familiar territory (more Windows like). Take a look at PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu or the KDE version of Linux Mint.

Keep in mind, all these distro's can be run directly from the CD to try them out, albeit at a slower speed than a full installation would offer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie