UAC preventing deletion from USB

rob3600 10:48 15 May 2008

Can anyone tell me how in simple terms to get around the fact that UAC will not let me (my wife) delete files from a USB stick, she is down as an administor.

rob3600 10:49 15 May 2008

PS in relation to the above I am using windows vista!

simmo09 11:09 15 May 2008

disable user account control, its intrusive, way too intrusive!

click here

You are just as safe with AVG running, and not that annoying UAC. I cant stress how much people should go back to XP, its simple, fast and more effecient.

rob3600 11:35 15 May 2008

Many thanks simmo09 done that. At first I was under the impression that XP was the best, and was not looking forward to having to use Vista but I must confess I am rather fond of it - perhaps at the moment though I am like a kid with a new toy! Thanks aganin

ventanas 11:47 15 May 2008

I cant stress how much people should go back to XP, its simple, fast and more effecient.
What a load of rubbish from another uninformed person.

Do not turn off UAC it's there for a reason, and a very good one.
Do not for one minute accept that XP is superior to Vista. Vista leaves XP in the dark ages in almost every department. XP, good as it was is now history.

simmo09 12:53 15 May 2008

do you work for microsoft by any chance heheh

"Do not turn off UAC it's there for a reason, and a very good one.
Do not for one minute accept that XP is superior to Vista. Vista leaves XP in the dark ages in almost every department. XP, good as it was is now history."

Its there in my opinion to be an annoyance. You dont need it, in over 6 years of maintaning pc's the only reason you would need anti-virus or other protection is due to the content you use. As long you steer clear of malware sites and fraudelent emails, you dont need it. I have been auditing and pentesting many systems, and if you believe that UAC will save you, think twice. Balancing the two between annoyance, and so-called security i know which i would choose, besides you have defender and so on. Its all about personal well being, if you know what you are doing, and risks that may be involved.

I would hate to have to install client side applications over and over again, telling UAC to butt out. I still maintain you dont need it.

ambra4 16:21 15 May 2008

How to Disable Vista UCA

“Do not turn off UAC it's there for a reason, and a very good one”

YES … To ANNOY the crap out of you

A bloody pain in the butt, in over 30 years of maintaining Computers and Networks

Worldwide I tell all my clients to turn it OFF, as it will ANNOY the crap out of you

It just Bill way to say, “I AM GOD AND I WANT TO ANNOY YOU”

It's obnoxious you don’t need it just like you don’t need Windows defender or Live OneCare

How to Disable UCA From The Command Line

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Disable UCA From The Control Panel

click here

After you disable UAC, you have to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect

rob3600 19:32 15 May 2008

I never realised that my question would cause such a debate, I do agree that we never needed this UAC under XP and managed quite well without it, I am a simple novice in computer these days despite working them for more years than I care to remember - sad I know anyway thanks everyone for your comments seconds out round 3 :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?