Types of hard drive

badgermansix 06:53 29 Jul 2005

WinXP HE SP2,
I have two PC's, I want to install a second hard drive as a backup in each.

I have been told that there are two internal types, IDE plus another?? how would I recognise each type, and what is the name of the second type (have I explained that o.k. I ask myself :-)))

Any recommendations on brand (and best buy)would be appreciated.
I do not want to take them to a shop because the advice on this forum is excellent and I am confident that I can install them myself.

TIA

User-312386 07:35 29 Jul 2005

you Have IDE (now called ultra ide)

And

You now have SATA. You can see on your motherboard that IDE has a large connector and and SATA has a small connector

Good deals for HDD's are click here

badgermansix 10:20 29 Jul 2005

madboy33©®, thanks for that :-)

I'll have a look.

badgermansix 17:16 29 Jul 2005

It seems that I have two SATA connections (one occupied).
Would it just be a matter of fitting a second SATA HD, and connecting direct to the second SATA connection with a new cable?
I notice that the Sata Connection cable does not have a slave connector as does a IDE cable.
There are Two IDE connection points on the mother board, they are both in use with a DVD and DVD/r/RW drives

EARLR 17:18 29 Jul 2005

I have a Targa Data Box 250gb 139 euro. works fine,has 3 year pick up and return warranty.

User-312386 18:31 29 Jul 2005

SATA does not have Master and Slave

User-312386 18:32 29 Jul 2005

Sorry yes just fit the new drive to the second sata connector

badgermansix 22:27 29 Jul 2005

EARLR, Thank you for that info.
madboy33©®, thank you for that info also, I feel quietly confident (I've said that a few times and come unstuck, so my wife says).
I had a look at the site that you recommended, I see the IDE HD, I take it that the ATA HD's advertised are the same as SATA?

Thanks again.

DieSse 22:38 29 Jul 2005

SATA drives are always designated SATA or Serial. Otherwise you should assume not.

All modern drives are IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) - the interface can be Parallel or Serial. SATA is the serial one. Sometimes now (but not always) the parallel interface ones are called PATA.

Be very careful with the link above (not the supplier - just the descriptions). Some drives are called ATA - these will be Parallel - some drives are called PATA - these will also be Parallel. ONLY the drives called SATA will be Serial interface - and there are none on the page of the link - look at other pages to see the SATA drives.

badgermansix 22:50 29 Jul 2005

DieSse, Thank you very much for that reply and advice.

I almost think I know what I am looking for now :-))

badgermansix 22:53 29 Jul 2005

further, I should have said that I have the Manual for the motherboard Chaintech 9CJS EZ and it does show SATA connections.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?