Type of OCR Scanner required

Telboy38 12:40 12 May 2004

What OCR Scanning software do I require in order to translate Spanish Physical documents into English via Pheonix "Translator Plus" programme?
I am on Windows XP Professional using a Canon Scanner.

Stuartli 16:53 12 May 2004

OCR software can't convert from one language into another, only reproduce the original test as accurately as possible.

You need to scan the page(s) into file form and then translate them using your translation software.

There are various OCR software programs, including TextBridge, but you probably already have one available on the drivers CD-ROM disk that came with your scanner.

Stuartli 16:55 12 May 2004

If you have the January 2004 PCW cover disk, it has a copy of ABBEY FineReader Pro 5.0 on it.

However, to update it there is a 34MB download from the company's website...:-((

Pesala 17:30 12 May 2004

Choose the Spanish setting to recognise Spanish text. That will improve your chances of recognising ñ and Ñ. Otherwise, you need nothing special. Any decent OCR package would do. Then you use your translation software to translate the recognised text file.

Stuartli 17:42 12 May 2004

Actually ABBEY FineReader has 17 language settings - I got the impression that you wanted the OCR to translate as well...:-)

Diemmess 18:10 12 May 2004

It is the software first and last which gives accurate.

The scanner can be as cheap and cheerful as you like, unless you are in a large office environment where you may need to scan many pages at a time and need some sort of auto feeder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?