Two on same line

brindly 22:42 24 Dec 2009

I am experiencing problems with my laptop and wireless internet connection. I have my desk top connected by wire and the laptop is supposed to be connected wireless. I can't find my Tiscali server only two others BT and Sky, not mine, yet I have it on my desktop. To save all the hassle can anyone tell me if I could install another router on the same telephone line for my laptop?

Forum Editor 00:23 25 Dec 2009

You can only have one router connected to a broadband account at any one time.

ambra4 01:43 25 Dec 2009

First of all what type of wireless router is connected to the broadband line make and model

brindly 18:47 25 Dec 2009

Hi ambra4 and a merry christmas. The router is Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsi. I can't understand why I can't see Tiscali in the list for my laptop. Anyway hpoe that makes sense. I understand from a search of the forum it is possible to use two routers on the same line as long as you turn one of them off. I am assuming that if I connect my laptop direct to the line I will be able to see tiscali in the list.

Thanks for the interest, grateful for any help but not too technical please.

Forum Editor 12:06 26 Dec 2009

Please don't paste great swathes of text from other websites into the forum - there are copyright issues involved.

I had to delete the hundreds of words you had copies from another site - it would have been much better to simply post links to the pages concerned.

Forum Editor 12:12 26 Dec 2009

When your router is detected by your laptop's wireless adapter it will not refer to Tiscali unless you set that as your wireless network name when configuring the router.

You can certainly use different routers, but as I said earlier, only one can be connected to your broadband service at any one time. It will be far easier for you to use just one router, and your laptop's adapter should certainly detect it, provided you followed the router manufacturers' set-up instructions to the letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?