two printers, one LPT port

pscripter 18:11 12 Jul 2003

pentium 3/700 win 98 second edition - was able to run HP Laserjet IIIp and a PostScript enabled driver through same port to same machine, but having bought new HP 1005 nothing works when new drivers are added to print through same port.
Can a virtual port be set up and what is the IMF data file the new printer uses?

madPentium 21:33 12 Jul 2003

I'm confused. Are you saying you want to use 2 printers on your system or just one?
If you want 2 printers and both are parallel interfaces, you bacically only have two options.
1. get a switch box, but this is a pain and you
can easily forget to switch it before printing
2. add a new pci parallel port card which will be
LPT2

pj123 21:58 12 Jul 2003

Postscript is a virtual printer, not a physical printer. if you have two physical printers and both are parallel then you do need a switch box or a second printer card. You can get an automatic switch box. or if one of your printers has a USB connection you can have one on parallel and the other on the USB port.

pscripter 08:10 13 Jul 2003

Actually I could even run the same printer through two drivers invoking Pscript output on one of them. One thing I have'nt tried is to try USB and parallel connections to the same printer as this did'nt work on an Epson I had, but thanks for the idea!

Wak 10:27 13 Jul 2003

Hi, I don't know if this will help but if you go to the Control panel/ Printers, you can add more printers as required. You can even add the existing printer with modified settings so that when you select PRINT from the menu, you can actually choose which printer (or set-up) you wish to use.
I believe you can have various printers and fax programs(which are classed as printers) in the control panel, and as I said above, just select the one you wish to use at that particular time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?