Two Pcs with one router and two e-mail addresses

anskyber 14:05 25 Jun 2006

I have 2 PCs in separate rooms linked by a modem router (Thompson Speedtouch 536 v6) I have a main e-mail address which is not used but is the principal address for my ISP (through Outlook 2003) and 2 alias e-mail addresses one is used by me the other by my wife on the other PC.

I have set her PC up to have only her alias address as and Outlook account and her alias address is not an account in Outlook on my PC.

The aim is for her address e-mail to go only to her PC and mine to my PC. However if her PC is not switched on her mail comes to my PC. It occures to me it could be either the main (unused) address on my PC picking up all e-mail alias addresses or possibly the router picking them up if one of the PCs is not on and sending it to the other. Any thoughts?

DieSse 14:22 25 Jun 2006

It's not the router - it can't do that. It's the way you have your settings.

anskyber 14:25 25 Jun 2006

Thanks, I suspected that would be the answer. Is there a way that you can think of to achieve my objective?

DieSse 14:34 25 Jun 2006

It wasn't quite clear to me about your email addresses, where you talk about the main (unused address). Do you have two addresses and two aliases on one of them - or just two aliases. Does you ISP insist that with aliases they all get downloaded irrespective of which computer picks them up on?

Two different email addresses would solve your problem totally - aliases can be problematical.

Or you could try setting you system not to delete your wifes alias from the server (maybe, if the configuration allows it).

I would try and get two email addys personally - then no more problems of any kind.

anskyber 14:39 25 Jun 2006

Thanks.My e-mail address (main) is gobledegook letters and numbers given when I set up my account with my ISP so that is not used for communication instead we use the 2 alias which I assume are linked to the main address at the (Zen) server.

woodchip 14:45 25 Jun 2006

If you use netscap you can just setup one or multi accounts on one computer, it will only collect mail for the accounts created. No matter what ISP you use

anskyber 14:59 25 Jun 2006

Thanks I have set up another e-mail account so all is well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?